Meat pies are a favorite in many regions of the world. European and African countries especially love meat pies. They are a traditional dish and western household is just considered incomplete without it. Nowadays they can be easily bought with different fillings, from bakeries or ready to cook from grocery stores. Meat is a good source of protein and by eating meat pies one can easily consume protein.
But the joy and satisfaction of making a meat pie at home are unparalleled. As it gets more famous, the number of people trying to make them at home is increasing. There are many variations to the recipe and all are equally delicious because after all, it is a meat pie. And you can do these variations according to your need and likeness.
Making a meat pie is not a very task. And most important part of meat pie is the crust. It needs to be made just right to taste good. It can’t be too hard or too soft. Neither can be too crispy or too crumbly. Therefore the recipe you follow for pie crust is very important. But you’re in luck today because you’re about to read an awesome recipe for making the meat pie dough from the scratch!
So here’s how it is done.
- 4 cups flour
- 500-gram margarine or butter
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- A cup of cold water
- 2 eggs
- A little bit of sugar
- A salt according to your taste
Steps to follow to Make Meat Pie Dough
Mix the Dry Ingredients
- First of all, take a large bowl. Add the 4 cups flour in it. Put in baking powder and salt to it. You can also add a little sugar, it will help compliment the salty taste more. Mix the dry ingredients quite well so salt or baking powder doesn’t accumulate anywhere. After that these dry ingredients would be ready for getting mixed with water and to become a dough.
Knead the dough
- Now add Margarine or butter into the mixture. Knead it a little bit until the flour starts to hold a shape without crumbling down right away.
- Now start adding the cold water (water should be ice cold). Add the water very little at a time to prevent over-kneading. Add water until you can make a ball of the dough. If the dough seems too soft, add a little more flour, and if it is too hard, add a little more water to it. The way to know if you kneaded it right is to pull a bit of dough with one hand. It should come as a string but it shouldn’t stick to your hand.
Roll out the dough
- Now on a flat surface, sprinkle some plain flour and put the dough on the surface to start rolling it out. Roll the dough and make sure it has an even consistency all around by running your hand over it. Roll it to a thickness of about half an inch or a little more than 1 centimeter so that you can easily put the filling inside.
Cut it out using a dough cutter or cookie cutter. Or you can even use a jar lid etc. Take half the pie crusts and put your desired filling on it. Making sure to leave a rim around the edges.
Assemble all the ingredients
- Now whisk an egg and brush the sides with it. Now put the other half pie dough on top of the filled ones. Use a fork to make a pattern on the sides to make them look good and to seal the edges as well. Again put the beaten egg on tops of the pies. Now, these pies are ready to be baked.
Cook the pies
- Now all that is left is to cook them. Cook the pies for around 45 minutes. Take them out when the tops are crisp golden brown. And serve them with your favorite sauce. You can eat these meat pies at tea time and make your evenings wonderful.
I hope you find my article helpful if you have any further queries you can mention in the comment section down below, I’ll be humble to help you out. For other related articles, you can visit www.Tryarticles.com