If you have a pet dog in your house then it is your responsibility to vaccinate your pet to protect them against disease. There are various diseases which are very fatal for dogs and these diseases are transferable as well which makes these disease very dangerous for human beings too. Most of the time the vet determine when should your dog needs rabies shot according to your pets health and its age. It is observed that the vet normally recommends rabies shot when a dog is 6 weeks old.
Many vets have different opinions and suggestion on how often does a dog need a rabies shot like some vets to suggest that a booster should be given to a dog each year and some say rabies shot should be given after 3 years. To know when should your dog need the rabies shot. Keep reading this article so that you will have no confusion regarding rabies shot.
When you should give a Rabies shot
- The first thing you need to know about this disease is that it is a virus and affected animal shows its symptoms between four to eight weeks.
- When a pet has this disease they start to behave strangely like they become more aggressive day by day during this stage, isolation and nervousness are the two most common symptoms of rabies. This stage is called prodromal which lasts for two to three weeks.
- With the passing days this disease got worse in your pet and cause your dogs death when your dog become hypersensitive to light and other things which were normal before this disease then this stage is called furious rabies during this stage your pet becomes very active, he does not sleep and do not follow your orders.
- Two things determine when should your pet need a rabies shot, the first thing is animal age and the rabies history of your pet and the second think is state law, municipal rules about pet vaccination.
- Dogs need the first rabies shot when they are 4 to 6 months old and then each year they just need a booster. Then after three years, the pet owners need to vaccinate their pet again.
- In some states the laws say you must vaccinate your pet each year, when should your pet need rabies shot also depends upon the area in which you are living, if diseases are very common in your area then it means your pet needs rabies shot each year.
- Puppies acquire natural immunity from their mother but this immunity fades as they grow that’s why you must take your pet to a vet to know when should your pet need the rabies shot.
- There are different types of vaccination and your vet can ask you what kind of vaccination you want to give your pet, for example, there is basic, core vaccination and it protects your dog against these diseases.
- Infectious canine hepatitis
When you give rabies shot to your pet then it helps dogs to mount an immune system against rabies disease. You must speak to your vet as vaccine required for each pet is different and it also depends upon the area in which your pet is living.
How to prevent Rabies
- One of the simple and inexpensive methods to prevent rabies in dogs is to keep them away from wild animals, if you take your pet for a walk then you must make sure your dog is not going near to wild animal keep an eye on them.
- In case you saw an animal without owner then immediately inform animal authorities they will pick the dog and check its health condition and take care of it. otherwise, if this animal has rabies then a single bite or even scratch of it can transfer rabies to you.
- If you found out your pet’s behavior is aggressive, its mouth is full of foam then be alert in this condition and take your pet to the vet for a proper checkup.
- Whenever you decide to get a dog then do not get an illegal animal from other country and dog which has never vaccinated, you should only get a dog from the trusted channel which has proper official paper and vaccinated properly.
- In case you get a baby dog from trusted channel then it is your duty to vaccinate it properly to prevent rabies in a dog.
- If you found out any dog which has killed some animal or person then you must call animal authorities do not take action yourself, as they are trained to handle this type of conditions.
- In case of dog bits you then you must immediately wash your infected area and disinfect the wound with iodine afterward go to the doctor and get proper treatment to prevent rabies attack.
- If you find out the owner of a dog who bits you then contact him and see proper papers and vaccination detail of the dog otherwise call animal authorities to take appropriate action.
- This article is only based on providing basic information, Tryarticles does not have any authority or responsibility to prescribe any medicine or treatment we strongly recommend you to take your pet to vet in case of any type of pain or condition your dog to have.
I hope you find my article helpful if you have any further queries you can mention in the comment section down below, I’ll be humble to help you out. For other related articles, you can visit Tape daily